Year 1 Curriculum Overview
Reading and Phonics:
Phonics is taught in daily 45 minute lessons and is then revisited throughout the day following the Read Write Inc programme.
This programme is brilliant for building children's confidence in reading as it values fluency and accuracy.
Three types of book will be sent home per week:
1. Read Write Inc 'Book Bag Books'
2. A copy of the reading book taught in that week's phonics lessons
3. A library book
Your child should read 1 and 2 to you confidently. Please record this in their reading record.
Please ensure your child brings their reading record and Read Write Inc books to school every day.
We will change your child's library book every Friday.
Maths is taught in whole class carpet sessions followed by adult led and independent challenges to consolidate learning.
So far, Year 1 have enjoyed learned about:
- Place value to 100: Using tens and ones to describe 2-digit numbers
- Counting in 2s, 5s and 10s
- Addition and subtraction within 20 using number lines, manipulatives and tens frames.
- 2D shapes and their properties
- 3D shapes and their properties
- Measuring using standard (e.g. centimetres) and non-standard (e.g. number of hands) units
PE will be taught every Wednesday. Please send your child in to school wearing their PE kit on Wednesdays.